Monday 8 December 2014

Advent 2014: Favourite Characters - Day #8: Korra (The Legend of Korra)

Reduced to 12 days of December rather than the original 24, I look at the Avatar Korra from The Legend of Korra as my next choice of character from 2014. With Korra voiced by Janet Varney, the series, currently in its fourth and final season, is aired by Nickelodeon




Here are the rules for this column, as per normal.

"As you’ve probably noticed from above, this is a new blog series dedicated to showcasing my favourite characters from 2014. I will draw from a wide variety of sources but the conditions are simple – I have to have either first encountered that character in 2014, (or a different iteration of that character in 2014, for example, If I were to use, Steven Moffat’s Sherlock Holmes, I would be allowed to as even though I discovered the character before the year of me writing the Advent list, I did not discover Moffat’s take on the character until 2014. Of course, I watched BBC’s Sherlock before 2014, but that’s just a standard example). I can also refer to groups of characters, for example, on a variation of a list last year, I used the Clone Club from Orphan Black, and the main cast from Stargate Atlantis. This will be used multiple times this year when talking about TV show characters – as they are generally better as an ensemble piece as opposed to an individual group.

And also, as is evident from the first character that I have used this year, Raylan Givens, I am allowed to pick characters from previous years as long as I have discovered them in this year. By discovered, that obviously means I have to have watched the first episode of the TV series in 2014, or alternatively, I am also allowed to include characters who I have become more attached to in this year that I weren’t necessarily so keen on before, for example, If a character did something awesome this year to raise their game and turn him or her into a new fan favourite than these characters would be allowed to be included."

There were three big summer TV binge-watching projects that I assigned myself in order to catch up for the fall season (and one of them for a completed show), and those were Battlestar Galactica (the completed show), Person Of Interest (expect the characters from Battlestar and POI to crop up at some point on this list) and Legend of Korra. Out of these three shows, the only one which I’m not currently up to date on is Battlestar, but it’s my intention to remedy that when I finish my Justified binge-watch which should be happening towards the end of this month. Out of the two shows that I did manage to complete, the one that I’m focusing on here today is The Legend of Korra, a four-season long series that is currently in its final season and nearing towards its end. It’s been a fantastic journey to get caught up on this series (composed of thirteen half hour episodes per season), and it’s really showed just how great cartoons can be, aimed both at children and adults. Yes, there are some immature characters and Korra can act too much like a brat at times, particularly in the early season, and Season 2 was fairly average, but aside from that, The Legend of Korra was superb. Indeed, the finale of Season 3 is probably one of my favourite episodes of the year, in any TV show, with some great animation that really works.

I haven’t seen The Last Airbender, so I don’t have to compare Avatar characters, but Korra has all the making of a kickass female character. She’s strong, well developed and easily the best character out of the series (which would make sense, given that she’s the main star), and it’s great to watch her go on this journey from hot-headed into something greater. There’s a lot of character growth and its great how that even in what is effectively a children’s series, where everything can sometimes remain the same in the entire runtime, the status quo is consistently changing and evolving. Characters are growing and evolving and it’s great to see that Korra is very much one of them.

Korra has been a fantastic series to undertake and Season 3, which concluded shortly before the release of Season 4, has really impressed. Season 4 has taken Korra and her fellow allies on a new journey and it’s great to see how the writers are handling it and aside from an unfortunate clip show episode, Season 4 has been excellent from the word go. Korra Alone, one of the episodes from this season, has been just as strong as the season three finale, and to see the show continuing its amazing form is great. The characters are awesome and sadly, Season 4 is entering its final stages and we’ll probably never return to the Avatar world after its conclusion, which is a real shame given the rich potential of development to be explored there.


Still, Korra’s journey has been fantastic, and it’s great to be a part of it. It’s not too late to check out what for me is probably my favourite cartoon that I’ve seen, so you can check out the trailer here. 



·                   Day 1: Raylan Givens (Justified)
·                   Day 2: The Mikealson Family (The Originals)
·                   Day 3: Nolan and Irisa (Defiance)
·                   Day 4: Godzilla (Gareth Edwards' Godzilla)
·                   Day 5: The 99th Precinct (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
·                   Day 6: The All New X-Factor (Peter David’s All New X-Factor)
·                   Day 7: Bluebird & Spoiler (Batman Eternal)
·                   Day 8: Korra (The Legend of Korra)

No comments:

Post a Comment