Monday 22 June 2015

The Games I Brought In the Steam Summer Sale

With the Steam Summer Sale currently in its last day (estimated finish time 10am Pacific), I thought I’d share what I’ve purchased over the previous week or so in the form of PC Games. I’ve left out a game that I’ve been given as a gift (namely because I’ve already reviewed the Xbox 360 Version, mainly got this for the expansion), but these are my picks from the Summer Sale, limited by budget and computer compatibilities. The games below are listed in a random order, and it is important to note that these are not reviews, merely observations. Full reviews will come further down the line. 





 THE WOLF AMONG US

Why? I’ve never actually read the Vertigo Comic that this Telltale game is based on, Fables, but the world has always been intriguing and it’s certainly something that’s high on my To-Read list. Telltales have a stellar track record with their Walking Dead and Game of Thrones games as well, so it really was a no brainer. I’ve played half an hour of this game so far and I’m loving the noir feel that works really well.

CITIES: SKYLINES

Why? I’m a sucker for sandbox city builders and I love the SimCity games but as the latest SimCity hasn’t been received well (and isn’t available on Steam), I was looking for an alternative and Cities: Skylines fits the bill especially as one of my friends has been consistently bugging me about this game for a while now. It looks pretty cool so far even if there’s  a lot to get used to,  but so far, about thirty five minutes in, it’s certainly something that I’m going to be playing for a while to come.

TOTAL WAR ROME 2 - EMPEROR EDITION

Why? I’ve always been a fan of the Total War games, having played the first Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire, and Rome 2 first debuted to mixed reception after massive hype concerning its release, so I was initially reluctant to get it. However, at £7 for the Emperor Edition (containing two extra DLCs), I couldn’t really say no. I loved the Roman period of the first Rome game and the gameplay that I’ve seen of this game looks pretty cool as well. So it should be an interesting experiment. I haven’t yet downloaded this yet as along with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter I only brought it today, but it should be interesting to see what happens when I do get around to downloading it.

THE VANISHING OF ETHAN CARTER

Why? Because this game looks awesome, and similar in atmospheric scope to Murdered Soul Suspect, which was the last Xbox 360 game that I reviewed for this site and I love mysteries like this so hopefully The Vanishing of Ethan Carter can deliver on its story based approach. The visuals look absolutely stunning as well, and at £5 it was an absolute steal.

SPACE HULK

Why? I love Warhammer 40,000. I love PC Games. This was on sale and it could run on my computer. This was pretty much the main reasons why, having already owning all of the Dawn of War games, I picked up Space Hulk. I never got the chance to play the original non-PC game so I’m hoping that Space Hulk is something that will give me a close enough experience. I brought it earlier in the week, but haven’t yet gotten around to installing it yet so this is something that should be fun to play.

PORTAL 2

Why? This and Civ 5 are the games owned by most of my Steam friends (if you’re looking to add me as a friend on Steam, drop me a DM on twitter @baneofkings to let me know who you are and I’ll add you), and at just under £4 it was a steal, especially as it is one of the highest critically acclaimed games that I’m yet to play. I’m yet to download it but puzzle based games should be interesting and the praise for this game was enough for me to pick it up.

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH

Why? Another game with mixed reception at launch, Beyond Earth is something that I’ve been wanting to play for a while and have now finally got the chance to do so. I finished downloading it this morning and have played a couple of hours on it, and it looks amazing so far even if the science fiction element and the lack of ‘real’ nations to play as makes it a bit different from Civ 5 that I’m used to. Still, should be good fun.

Did you get any games in the Steam Sale? Have you played any of the games that I’ve just purchased? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments below.



1 comment:

  1. There were a few games I really had my eye on, but limited funds kept me to just buying Banished. Which then ate up 5 hours of my life the first time I played.

    Made sure my roommate got all the Elder Scrolls games while they were cheap, though. But that doesn't count as me buying them. :p

    ReplyDelete